Community Resources

We’re proud to be a hub for community information on all things related to housing. If you have a question, please see the list of topic-specific resources below for the answer.

Housing & Homelessness Information, Assistance & Resources

City of Des Moines Housing Services 515-323-8950
Information on subsidized housing and applying for Section 8 within the City of Des Moines.

Central Iowa Regional Housing Authority (CIRHA) 515-986-1882
Information on subsidized housing outside of Polk County. Counties include, Boone, Story, Madison, Marion, Dallas, Jasper.

HUD Office 1-800-955-2232
Provides information about HUD rental programs and state housing counseling agencies.

Iowa Housing Search
Statewide rental housing website.

Iowa Mortgage Help 1-877-622-4866
Provides foreclosure assistance.

Polk County Assessor 515-286-3014
Check on property ownership.

Polk County Treasurer 515-286-3060
Information on property taxes and vehicle registration.

City of Des Moines Neighborhood Inspections 515-283-4046
Check on rental certificates, report property for junk debris, report unlicensed and inoperable vehicles, or report pest and rodent problems.

City of Des Moines Animal Control 515-284-6905
Report wildlife problems or dead animals.

Home Repairs & Renovations

City of Des Moines Community Development 515-283-4200
Apply for building permits for residential building and modification projects. Also provides building inspections.

Rebuilding Together 515-284-7403
Rehabilitates homes at no cost for veterans, older adults, people with disabilities, and families with dependent children.

Rock the Block® 515-471-8686
Program through Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity. Provides low-income homeowners with need home repairs, maintenance, weatherization, safety, accessibility, and beautification of their homes.

Polk County Emergency Home Repairs 515-875-5566
Assistance for emergency home repairs. Assistance based on income guidelines and the house must be assessed at less than $95,000.

ReStore Discount Home Improvement Centers 515-309-0224
Provided by Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity. Sells new and gently used home improvement materials to the public at discounted prices.

Utility & Public Works Services

Des Moines Water Works 515-283-8700
Set up services or report problems regarding City of Des Moines water and sewer.

City of Des Moines Public Works 515-283-4950 (24/7 Call Center)
Report: sewer back up on property, potholes and streets in need of attention, a sidewalk that has not been shoveled within 24 hours, diseased or dying trees near public sidewalks, street or public parking. Information on garbage, yard waste, and recycling.

Metro Waste Authority 515-244-0021
Provides city dump information and recycling guides.

Mid-American Energy 515-244-0021
Provides gas and electric services in Central Iowa.

Attorney General, Office of Consumer Advocates (Utilities) 515-725-7200
Investigates the legality of utility rates and practices.

Iowa Utilities Board 515-725-7300
Regulatory utility experts that investigate utility companies and billing complaints.

Financial & Everyday Living Assistance

IMPACT Community Action Partnership/LIHEAP 248-6216
Apply for energy assistance, weatherization, and furnace repairs.

Iowa Department of Human Services 515-286-3555
Apply for state food assistance, the family investment program and state medical assistance.

Polk County General Assistance 515-286-2088
Provides rent and utility assistance and city bus transportation tokens to qualifying clients.

Polk County Centralized Intake for Homeless Prevention 1-866-599-3155
Provides homeless intake services to be considered for housing assistance.

West Des Moines Human Services 515-222-3660
Provides financial assistance and food pantries for West Des Moines residents.

Salvation Army 515-282-3422
Provides funds as available to help families with rent, food, utilities, and clothing.

St. Vincent de Paul 515-282-8328
Provides funds as available to help families with rent, food, utilities, and clothing.

Evelyn K. Davis Center for Working Families 515-697-7700
Assists with career goals and financial stability.

Police, Crime & Legal Disputes

City of Des Moines Police Non-Emergency 515-283-4811

City of Des Moines Des Moines Police, Vice and Narcotics 515-283-4830
Report suspicious drug activity.

Polk County Crisis & Advocacy Services 515-286-3600
Provides assistance to victims of crime in Polk County.

Polk County Small Claims Court 515-286-3800
Located at 222 SW 5th, Des Moines, IA 50309
File legal disputes under $5,000. Handles legal disputes such as evictions, wage garnishments, and forcible entry and detainer.

Attorney General, Consumer Protection Office 515-281-5926
File a complaint of fraud, deception, and unfair business practices.

Better Business Bureau 1-800-222-1600
File a complaint or request to review business practices.

Report Child or Dependent Adult Abuse 1-800-362-2178
Report tips of abuse anonymously.

Legal Assistance

Drake Legal Clinic 515-271-3851

Iowa Legal Aid 1-800-532-1503 or 515-243-1193
Provides legal assistance to income-qualified persons.

Veteran & Disability Services

Department of Veterans Affairs 515-699-5637
Provides healthcare, education, employment, and benefit assistance to veterans.

Iowa Compass Center for Disabilities and Development 1-800-779-2001
A resource database for Iowans with disabilities and service providers.

Senior Resources

Aging Resources of Central Iowa 515-255-1310 or 1-800-747-5352
Information and referral assistance for persons 60 years of age or older and their caregivers.

Polk County Senior Services 515-286-3679
Provides community and dining centers for people aged 60 and older.

Report Child or Dependent Adult Abuse 1-800-362-2178
Report tips of abuse anonymously.

Transportation Resources

DART 515-283-8100
City bus and bus line transportation information.

Translation Services

Iowa International Center 515-282-8269 ext. 5
Provides interpretation services for landlords and tenants to communicate.

Discrimination Resources

Des Moines Civil & Human Rights Commission 515-283-4284
File a housing complaint regarding discrimination.

Iowa Civil Rights Commission 515-281-4121
Enforces state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination.

Health Resources

Polk County Health Department 515-286-3798
Information on immunizations and health resources.

Other resources

United Way 2-1-1 211
Offers free referrals to community resources.